Google is forever updating their processes and procedures and the latest update is affecting eCommerce advertisers around the world. On March 20th, 2018, Google will end their support for existing Google built eCommerce platform imports with BigCommerce, PrestaShop, and Magento. For almost 3 years they have made it easy for e-tailers to import their product catalogs directly to Google Merchant Centre using these 3 platforms.
The import method was a quick and cheap way to start selling products on Google Shopping but maybe not ideal. Perhaps this is why Google is discontinuing their support? Based on feedback from our clients there were issues with the import process and result.
Google Shopping’s BigCommerce, PrestaShop, and Magento Import: Highstreet.io Customer Feedback
Feedback from our customers regarding the experience of Google’s import function with BigCommerce, PrestaShop, and Magento included:
- Product listings didn’t meet Google’s standards so they received more GMC disapprovals
- At times there was critical missing product information the client wasn’t aware of
- Product titles, descriptions and categories weren’t structured properly for Google and affected overall campaign performance
Google Shopping: Plugin Support Timeline
In January companies using the import function from BigCommerce, PrestaShop, and Magento received the following email:
The most important highlights of Google’s email were:
- “We are writing you today to let you know that we’re retiring the existing Google built ecommerce platform imports with BigCommerce, PrestaShop, and Magento. We’re retiring these imports in order to better focus on solutions that will make the Shopping ads onboarding a more seamless experience.”
- “The “Insert Platform Here” Google Shopping app connected to your Google Merchant Centre account “Insert Account Here” and the associated feed will be retired on 20 March 2018 and will no longer provide your product data to Merchant Center.”
How Highstreet.io can help
Highstreet.io integrates with major eCommerce platforms and creates product data feeds from one or multiple sources. Our platform ingests any size of product catalog, optimizes your product data and gets it listed quickly and easily on Google Shopping. Frustrated with troubleshooting GMC disapprovals? We take care of that too!
Find more information on our hassle-free product feed management service for all international marketing channels.
Learn more about how our product feed optimization techniques work.
Contact Highstreet.io for more information on how we can help you sell more products online.